Registration of Persons with Disabilities in Malaysia

Registration of Persons with Disabilities in Malaysia


Why Should I Register for an OKU Card (Kad OKU)?

Although not mandatory, registration will help the government and relevant agencies to meet the diverse needs of persons with disabilities. Disability registration will provide a more accurate picture of the distribution of persons with disabilities in the country. Subsequently, it will help the government and relevant agencies to plan policies, support programmes, services, education and training, etc.

Persons with disabilities holding an OKU Card will have access to a range of benefits and privileges (social protection programmes) provided by various government agencies for persons with disabilities.

How Do I Register for an OKU Card?

You may register for an OKU Card online with the Department of Social Welfare (Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat, JKM) by:

  • Filling in the online MyDaftarOKU form, or
  • Visiting your district or state JKM office in person.

You may obtain the OKU registration form from:

  1. State and district JKM offices
  2. Government clinics/hospitals
  3. State and district Education Department offices (Special Education Department)
  4. Download Borang Pendaftaran OKU from JKM’s website


What Information Do I Need to Provide for the OKU Registration?

In the registration form, you will be asked to provide your personal details, including information about your education and employment.

You will also need to provide a copy of your identification card (MyKad or MyKid) and a clear passport sized photo to submit with your OKU registration form.

For disabilities that are ‘tidak jelas’ (not obvious), you will need to obtain validation of disability from a medical doctor. According to JKM, ‘OKU jelas’ (obvious disabilities) are persons without limbs, or persons with at least two fingers/toes missing. All other disabilities will require validation of disability from a medical doctor.

For disability validation, you will need to give consent to release your personal medical information (section C) to process your application. The medical doctor will provide information about your disability via the registration form.


Who Can I Contact for More Details?

If you have questions or need further clarification, please contact your state JKM Office (JKM State Offices Contact). You may also obtain information about OKU registration via JKM’s Sistem Maklumat Orang Kurang Upaya (SMOKU) webpage.